Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Author Topic: Raz plays games: Super Metroid  (Read 1902 times)

Raz

• Gensokyo Volunteer Fairy Department
Raz plays games: Super Metroid
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:14:04 AM »

Im sure we all have a scary huge backlog and no time to get to it.  However you also ever find yourself in one of those moods where nothing seems to be going right and of all the hundreds of other more important things you could be doing you just drop everything, grab a beer, and play some games?  Well thats the perfect time for me to kill the ol' backlog  :sparkle:

Tonight i really wanted to play some DKC and was all ramped up for it, but continuing the trend, it turns out i either never actually owned it or cant find my cart, so i ended up settling for something i'd never played before.  SUPER METROID!  I'm actually ashamed to say of all the games i've played, i've never actually gotten around to playing any of the metroid series even though i own quite a few of them  :gloom:

Booted it up, got my controller and have been at it for about an hour or so.  My initial impressions are that its interesting... the music is pretty good and i already kinda like how theres a bunch of secret passages and such.  Still im not sure how i overall feel about it, theres a pretty distinct lack of direction and the controls dont feel as tight to me as other nintendo platformers of the SNES generation.  Also some of the mechanics seem counter intuitive (i had to back travel like a bitch because i didn't realize right away that you need FIVE rockets to open red doors).  Im not saying its a bad game or its incredibly exploitative atmosphere is a bad thing, just personally not my exact cup of tea, but i might change my mind.  Im starting to get a hang of things now though.

Also, am I missing something?  from the intro cutscene i feel like what happened in the prior two games may have actually been significantly important (i didnt even know there was a metroid 2, i thought thats what super metroid was).  All i know is riddles stole the last metroid and blew some people up and im now on a rainy planet with aliens.  I assume im hunting down riddly and his gang but im not really to clear on the details in between.

any tips or tricks?  also what the fuck was with that one chozo that attacked the shit out of me when i picked up bombs i think it was.  i thought they were samus's friends?   :tears:

Royalkitten

• huh
Re: Raz plays games: Super Metroid
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 02:03:55 AM »

I played super metroid in my freshman yeah like 9 years ago and I remember nothing. fun game  :sparkle:
Dear Ming,

Please delete my account.

Onegai <3

Raz

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:11:30 AM »

I will have to say that not having the manual actually hurts with old games.  I found out only after a couple hours in that you can dash in this game when i was remapping the controls.  i feel retarded - usually im really good at figuring that stuff out but since the controls of this game are kinda clunky it just didnt come naturally to me.

also seriously, whats with all the backtracking?  Like i know revisiting areas is fine, but this game takes it to the next level when you never know exactly where it is you should be going, constantly have that nagging fear you're missing something, and just to check you have to go back so far.  The game isnt even really challenging... it has its moments, but overall its pretty easy.  I know its considered a classic and all but it just feels more tedious than anything.  Its more trial an error.  Oh, can this wall be bombed even though theres no indication or differences?  sure sometimes it tips you off, but many of them are just one of those things you have to know.  I've always felt this is just bad game design.

Anyways, i've killed kraid, got the speed boost and the freeze ray.  Its alright, i mean it has its fun, but overall idk if im sold this this is an indisputable classic.

Raz

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:05:54 PM »

So I actually was able to finish the game like 3 weeks ago but didnt have time to update the post.

Overall impression of the game: Fun and i can understand why its a classic now.

Honestly at first i really kind of hated it.  It was mostly trial and error gameplay, nothing really made sense, and it just threw so much at you at once.  I wouldnt even say the game had a steep learning curve, because that doesnt even cover it.  there are so many small nuances and tricks that you just wont know about until you're most of the way though the game.  Its a game thats best played when you already know how to play it, and once you know how to play it you can start doing some wild shit.  I forgive some of the bullshit hidden items because it was a game made in the era of stratagy guides and gaming magazines so most people would be tipped off to those things.  Going in blind without a manual or a map made the game start off as hell.   That being said I know whenever i get around to a second playthough the game will be a lot more enjoyable because i can challenge myself to try neat bypasses and tricks that i woulnt have imagined possible my first go round.  I actually looked up some speed runs of the game after i beat it and was amazed by the kind of exploits that turned out to be possible.  Really is pretty amazing.  Still far from my favorite game, but i appreciate it now atleast.

Raz

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »

Honestly it hadnt been my type of game when i started it, but yea know that i understand the gameplay it was really enjoyable.  If you're gonna play super metroid my 2 bits of advice to maybe make it more enjoyable early on - download and read a PDF of the manual and watch most of or all of the scenes that play at title menu (they show you a lot of neat tips/tricks and what you're supposed to do in some instances).