Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Library? As in Books?  (Read 3744 times)

Gropy

• Purest around.
Library? As in Books?
« on: August 27, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

Lately I've been getting deep into the book: The Paradox of Choice - Why More Is Less

It's about how much choice is influencing our daily life, it introduces the many different choices we have to decide in our life, from the 30 different brands of bread in the supermarket; to the bigger decisions like relationships.
The interesting part is how he dicuss about; how we choose and that kind of psychology there is behind it.

Is anyone else reading a book or two? Also post suggestions if you know any good books, I need to make a backlog.

McJongJing

Re: Library? As in Books?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:55:35 PM »

I'm reading Starship Troopers
It's very interesting in the way it argues for/presents a more conservative society
Like how it argues that a cruel and unusual punishment is actually both more effective and kinder than jail
Punishment must be cruel and unusual or else it is ineffective. You don't take notice of a typical punishment. Being sent to jail for the third time is easy. You live in relative comfort with other criminals, who'll teach you more. A lashing though is more direct, and the pain sticks with you.

I'm not sure I'd support this society, but it's interesting to read.

Gropy

• Purest around.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:08:54 AM »

That does sound a lot more controversial and extremely conservative, we live in a liberal society where it's an ethnic to think people have the power to change; that's why punishment is so -light-.

It really is an argument between the carrot and stick method, which could be endless and differe from person to person. I could never read a book like that, when I disagree with the contexts point so much.

McJongJing

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 02:22:52 AM »

Then you'll never grow as a person, as your opinions are never challenged due to your own literary echoe chamber!
But yeah, it depends on which you feel is more effective. Personally, I would not be at all opposed to giving a rapist ten lashings plus jail time. Physical pain is the most primal and thus effective pain there is.

Gropy

• Purest around.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »

Sorry I mean that I wouldn't want to invest a large amount of time with something I a disagree, I'm all up for listening to other opinions and especially those I disagree with, so long it's civil and I'm able to express my own opinion (Like here and not with a book)

Now I don't know the statics or anything like that, but I would think that pain and long jail time only leads to more anger and instability in people, harder punishment would like to more elaborate crimes and more desperation to not get caught. Personally I think the carrot method might work with some people, recreating a normal life and integrate them in society.
I have no idea tho crime and punishment isn't my realm

McJongJing

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 03:03:59 AM »

You can't be all carrot though.
Otherwise you're rewarding criminal behavior.
Pain sends a direct message to the brain, "don't fucking do this"
Perhaps we should give lashings, and then the carrot.

It does worry me though, what qualifies for a lashing, and how that can be abused.
I'm not sure it would be right to punish the mentally ill in such a way.

Gropy

• Purest around.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:23:36 AM »

Carrot doesn't nessecary have to be rewarding, ofcause people have to get some kind of punishment for doing a crime, but letting people get a job in prison or make the prison more lively with normal furniture that reminds you of a normal home could to some extent have a different effect (This is how we do it in Denmark)
Pain tells you more like; that you should try to find another way to do it, and no way people are going to try and work a minimum wage job after spending some time getting turtored by the goverment.

McJongJing

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 04:28:02 AM »

Why wouldn't you work a minimum wage job?
Pain says "Don't fucking do it"
Basic conditioning
Therapy should be provided for free though

@Ming, Sweden has a faggy prison system doesn't it? How does it work in your country?

I don't actually believe in corporal punishment, I just find the discussion interesting

Gropy

• Purest around.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »

Why would you work a minimum wage job if you just spent 5 months getting totured?
Imo, I disagree with what pain says, but it differes from person to person like I said.

>I don't actually believe in corporal punishment
I believe in corporal punishment when lewd is involved  :heh:

McJongJing

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 10:25:25 PM »

So you don't get tortured. And it's not five months. It'd be like a one-time ten lashings then rehab/jail

Gropy

• Purest around.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »

Can I be the one who gives the lashing?
:tantrum:

McJongJing

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »

No bitch boy.
Now sit the fuck down and take your public humiliation like a man.

Gropy

• Purest around.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »

I didn't know you were into that... B-but if that's what you want go ahead :wink:
:sorry:

McJongJing

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »

Nah. Your faggot ass isn't worth the lashings.
I'd rather lash Ky.

#cucked

Gropy

• Purest around.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 10:43:02 PM »

Shouldn't you be tieing up me in a chair right next to where you are lashing @Ky ? It's only cucking if I can watch you lash that fat boi butt.
 :smoke:
Pages: [1] 2 3