Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What makes good moe?  (Read 6413 times)

bubblecat

Re: What makes good moe?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »

It references things like crazy yo. From every single medium, too. In the most recent series one episode alone referenced A Clockwork Orange, Ghostbusters, AKB48, Saint Seiya, Hakuto no Ken, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Attack on Titan. :sweatdrop:

Sometimes it's really subtle about it, like a Castle of Cagliostro reference where they use Kokoro's name as a pun referencing a line in the movie. Admittedly that was kinda clever, but I still think relying on other properties for a joke is lame.

Not sure if that video is an edit or not, it might be to avoid copyright from funimation or something. I don't recall it shifting like that in the series.

Humanity Has Declined was some good shit.
trudat

McJongJing

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »

It references things like crazy yo. From every single medium, too. In the most recent series one episode alone referenced A Clockwork Orange, Ghostbusters, AKB48, Saint Seiya, Hakuto no Ken, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Attack on Titan. :sweatdrop:

Sometimes it's really subtle about it, like a Castle of Cagliostro reference where they use Kokoro's name as a pun referencing a line in the movie. Admittedly that was kinda clever, but I still think relying on other properties for a joke is lame.

Not sure if that video is an edit or not, it might be to avoid copyright from funimation or something. I don't recall it shifting like that in the series.

Humanity Has Declined was some good shit.
trudat
The new series is fucking garbage though. In fact, everything past season 2 is garbage, and should be ignored.
I simply don't recall that many references in the original. Perhaps I've forgotten them. It's been a while since I watched through Milky.

bubblecat

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »

I can only comment on season 1 and the current TD, but yeah season 1 was not as crazy and blatant with it as the newer one is, but it was certainly still there. The Cagliostro example I mentioned was from s1.

McJongJing

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »

I can only comment on season 1 and the current TD, but yeah season 1 was not as crazy and blatant with it as the newer one is, but it was certainly still there. The Cagliostro example I mentioned was from s1.
That was at least clever though
I'll rewatch some of season one tonight and see how many references I find.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 02:11:13 AM »

Yui never seemed that bad but that's probably because I knew a couple girls in high school who were literally that dumb.

McJongJing

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 04:36:20 AM »

That was at least clever though
I'll rewatch some of season one tonight and see how many references I find.
Okay I just watched episode 4 of season one. Picked it at random.
I spotted a few references. There was a mole wearing a hard hat from Mega man.
It was just in the background for a second though, and not the focus of a joke, so I didn't find it too intrusive.
There's a part where Sheryl faces down a bear. She tries to calm it with a song and dance. During this she changes outfits.
I think it might be homage to something. Anyway the bear punches Sheryl in the face. I didn't mind this one either. Even though  I didn't understand the homage, I still got the joke. We think Sheryl is going to calm the bear, but instead it punches her in the face.

What I did have a problem with was the part where the bear steps on a landmine. I don't remember a landmine being set up earlier in the episode. It hasn't tried to avert my expectations or anything. It just comes out of nowhere.

A lot of the slapstick stuff felt predictable. They would set something up to be optimistic, but then some wacky slapstick happens instead. It stops being funny after a while. There were a few clever jokes though, like how the milkies are lured into a cage with a trail of bananas. They swear to break free and save Sheryl, until they're given more bananas.

Tldr: eh I guess you're (mostly) right

bubblecat

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:11 AM »

I think that's really the key to whether you'll like the show; if you can put up with the all the predictable nonsense for the few moments where it's clever or not. For me it's not worth it as that stuff puts me off way too much for it to be worthwhile.

Yui never seemed that bad but that's probably because I knew a couple girls in high school who were literally that dumb.
My image of high school girls are that they are dumb in the way that they have mindless sex, do drugs and waste all their money on clothes. Not in the way that they act like an actual baby.

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »

Good moe:Characters whose moe appeal comes from them being well written, relatable characters.

Shit moe:Characters specifically designed for moe appeal by stapling common "moe'" characteristics together.
Pages: 1 [2]