Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What got you into anime?  (Read 4953 times)

Matango

What got you into anime?
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »

I had satellite TV as a child and I watched all that I could that was available.
DBZ
Trigun
YYH
Case Closed
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of the Stars
Read or Die
G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Sailor Moon
Silent Mobius
and some others that I no doubt left out.

Then I got a high speed internet connection in late 2005.

I streamed a bunch of stuff, can't really remember that period clearly. Among some of the stuff I watched was Blood+, the Patlabor OVA, and my first subbed anime was Di Gi Charat.

Evangelion was the first thing I downloaded after learning about torrents. It took days but it was worth it. Then in about 2010 or so I started to watch currently airing stuff. My backlog is dauntingly huge.  :kyaa:

Like fifteen years and a few hard drives later, I'm here.

litt

• Prinzessin
Re: What got you into anime?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »

I started learning Japanese this summer and decided to watch anime to help me. I had been meaning to watch a few series but never found an excuse to do so.

As a kid I watched the regular stuff, but after grade school the only anime I watched were death note, ttgl and psycho pass

Basically I am new to anime

Hiro

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »

there was toonami when i was a kid but i didnt really get super into anime/manga/VNs until after high school during a time when i had no friends. now its stuck with me

Futaba

• Wild Flower
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »

Started watching inuyasha.

thennnn i don't know i kind of decided i liked it

I think you need to live life on the edge

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »

My first was Sailor Moon, on TV as a little kid. But it wasn't until me early teens that I really got into the hobby proper.  :laugh:

I got introduced to the Dragonball manga by a friend when I was 12. That lead to me watching some DBZ when I got good internet (it never aired here).

Around the same time I discovered Ragnarok Online and through that was exposed to the anime community (it was very much a weeb game). Curious and hungry for more after DB and DBZ, I watched entry level things of the time like Chrono Crusade, D.N Angel, Matentai Loki Ragnarok, etc. I got into Naruto too through a friend in middle school.

The anime had just started airing and I think there were like 8 episodes subbed out. I already knew about the manga, and since I couldn't find many episodes to download reliably through the P2P I was using, that got me into reading scanlations. Always having been a fan of comics and books, I got into that big time, especially when e-readers like OneManga popped up. Anime was doomed to taking a backseat from then on.

Even today, I don't really watch much.  :sad:

murasa

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »

I watched Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Inyusha and Dragon Ball as a kid on YTV, and I went through a weeaboo phase later in elementary school due to some of my friends being into anime :sad:

I stopped watching anime in 2007 or something but got back into it a few years ago! :dance:

Royalkitten

• huh
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »

Toonami. Then in 2009 I saw End of Evangelion and I was forever changed. :dance:
Dear Ming,

Please delete my account.

Onegai <3

bubblecat

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »

family member owned an anime shop as a kid that had all kinds of import stuff. I was buying gundam models, import toys, and vhs tapes of stuff that wasn't even released here yet as an elementary schooler because they looked cool and I got discounts

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »

Wow Bubblecat, that's pretty amazing!  :wave:

bubblecat

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:35:30 PM »

it was cool and got me into a lot of stuff and it was a really popular place with MTG and pokemon tournaments every weekend, but they closed because my aunt and uncle who owned it together got into a fight and got divorced, rip :poh:

Tsukikage Yuri

• magical girl
    • flavors
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »

Watched Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, DBZ and Digimon as a kid. Never turned back.

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »

Oh. Right.

I watched Digimon and Pokemon as well.

Pleinair

• I swear I'll post more. Eventually...
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:00:25 AM »

Aside from the regular Pokemon, Digimon, and Yugioh everyone was into, my first anime was Sailor Moon. In the short time I had cable I was just fascinated with how girly it was. It came on right before Dragon Ball, so I just told my parents that I was just killing time before Dragon Ball came on. I went a long time before actively watching anime, I saw Bleach, Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist and FLCL on Cartoon Network. Fooly Cooly really impacted me, the visuals and the music were just what I needed to see at that time in my life. I started downloading some dubs, Fruits Basket and Haruhi were some of them I don't remember the rest. I think Lucky Star was my first  fansub.
It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »

I started downloading some dubs

:smoke:

Hiro

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »

its better than streaming dubs