Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 378

Author Topic: General Chat  (Read 604627 times)

ScumbagSoldier

Re: General Chat
« Reply #2310 on: October 29, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »

Martial combat isn't about who has the most damaging weapon man.

You could kill someone in full plate with an ice pick. Would you have to disable the foe first, beat them down? Yes, 100%. But a hammer, mace, whatever, doesn't just shatter a person on the spot when you come near them either. They'll fight back. You'll still have to disable them or get them into a weak position to muster the force to beat the air out of them, and to successfully hit the money spots to do so.

Furthermore I'd bet if you wanted to kill someone in full plate, you'd get them on the ground and finish them with a knife. Regardless of what weapon you beat them with. It's just quicker.

Of course. You're still gonna have a much, much, MUCH easier time incapacitating someone in fullplate with a mace or warhammer, knocking them senseless, than clonking them with a sword over and over again.

McJongJing

« Reply #2311 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:46 PM »

@Ming yeah you could wrestle someone to the ground and then murder them. But it's easier to beat them to death than tackling them and then beating them to death. Let's consider a guy with a mace plus armour versus a guy with a knife and armour. Obviously the guy with the mace has a huge advantage. If you try getting into tackling or disabling range they can just swing the mace at you. They clearly have a longer range. They have a clear advantage in being able to hurt you before they incapacitate you.

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
« Reply #2312 on: October 29, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »

Knives are side weapons, MJJ  :wink:

Yes, a mace or a hammer would get force through plate. Depending on where, and with how much power behind it, significantly so. Not arguing this, no one would ever argue it. BUT

BUT

They are TERRIBLE weapons, for fighting someone who also carries a weapon, that is not the same silly type of weapon (either because you're both peasants, or carpenters using work tools, or it's a fight for sport). Especially against someone with a shield.

You need to be positioned at a very peculiar range to get in a good hit, not too far, not too close. And against someone with a shield you have a very limited angle to come from.

You need to make too big of a movement to get at someone with enough power to actually cause some hurt through the plate. And that's assuming you get any openings at all. Your enormous predictability makes you easy to parry and block. Your opponent has almost as much control over your movements as you do. You'll just end up doing the same in your face wrestling dance that the sword guy must. Just with a weapon much less cut out for it.

And even if you get your biggest, meanest warhammer or longmace, just no. More power, but still silly, more unwieldy, and now you've given up the option of a shield.

Now I'll wait for someone inevitably showing me how I'm an idiot by showing me the amazing arts of fighting with maces and hammers that I've heard of.

Kami_sama

• Live large, die large. Leave a giant coffin.
« Reply #2313 on: October 29, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »

Dam that's a cute pic of Alice. :kyaa:

All I know is that knight used mace instead of sword, at least on horse. So I can't really say anything. :nyoron:

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #2314 on: October 29, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »

Knives are side weapons, MJJ  :wink:

Yes, a mace or a hammer would get force through plate. Depending on where, and with how much power behind it, significantly so. Not arguing this, no one would ever argue it. BUT

BUT

They are TERRIBLE weapons, for fighting someone who also carries a weapon, that is not the same silly type of weapon (either because you're both peasants, or carpenters using work tools, or it's a fight for sport). Especially against someone with a shield.

You need to be positioned at a very peculiar range to get in a good hit, not too far, not too close. And against someone with a shield you have a very limited angle to come from.

You need to make too big of a movement to get at someone with enough power to actually cause some hurt through the plate. And that's assuming you get any openings at all. Your enormous predictability makes you easy to parry and block. Your opponent has almost as much control over your movements as you do. You'll just end up doing the same in your face wrestling dance that the sword guy must. Just with a weapon much less cut out for it.

And even if you get your biggest, meanest warhammer or longmace, just no. More power, but still silly, more unwieldy, and now you've given up the option of a shield.

Now I'll wait for someone inevitably showing me how I'm an idiot by showing me the amazing arts of fighting with maces and hammers that I've heard of.

They're maces, dude. They have a long recovery time, but you can still get a quick, effective swing out of them. And yes, maces can easily be knocked aside because they have all their weight at the end, but you can't exactly block one with a sword either unless you're significantly stronger AND Have a really solid stance.

As for needing a specific distance, if you're really so close that you can't swing your weapon,  you're just going to be thrashing your knees and shield anyway, as well as trying to get away as fast as you can. You won't be able to swing any weapon unless it really is a knife. On top of that, I used to actually do martial arts, and you're never more vulnerable than when you're advancing on someone. Particularly if you happen to have just done something. If someone came at you with a running tackle, he'd be open to all kinds of things, because he has to move, you just have to anticipate him.

And really, your mace doesn't even really need to be all that "big and mean." Velocity is some serious shit, particularly if you're wielding a spiked weapon.

You've also done nothing to discredit my accusation that knocking someone silly with a mace is far more of a sure thing then slipping a sword through a gap in the armor, which probably only exists in the joints and maybe the throat, which are areas we instinctively protect anyway. Nevermind that you're wearing an encumbering and visually impairing suit of armour.

And nevermind that, as Kami said, knights were traditionally equipped with maces.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #2315 on: October 30, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »

Kami won the argument! Good job!  :yay:

Kami_sama

« Reply #2316 on: October 30, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »

r-really?

:yay:

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #2317 on: October 30, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »

r-really?

:yay:

Yes! You did great son! Your mother and I are really proud of you. I know we don't say this as much as we should, but we're proud and we really lo-
*kami wakes up, alone in his bed*

McJongJing

« Reply #2318 on: October 30, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »

Kami! I love you! You're the best! Hang yourself! I want to marry you!

Kami_sama

« Reply #2319 on: October 30, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »

:sad:

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #2320 on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »

>Hang yourself!

:worried:

Kami_sama

« Reply #2321 on: October 30, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »

McJongJing

« Reply #2322 on: October 30, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »

Ming your sig confuses me.
Why's he screaming?
Shouldn't he be happy he gets to hold a qt cat girl?

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #2323 on: October 30, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »

Tears of joy

landshark

• earthboat
« Reply #2324 on: October 31, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »

-hugs mingu-
frick u