Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 487

Author Topic: blog  (Read 830165 times)

ScumbagSoldier

Re: blog
« Reply #7185 on: February 22, 2020, 06:28:07 AM »

I'm mostly geared towards software dev, but hey, I'll take anything that can make me more valuable. Whatcha got for me?

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
« Reply #7186 on: February 22, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »

Right so, starting with internship (which wasn't specifically targeted for web developers, so applicable for software devs too).

Typically, an internship doesn't demand too much. But if they just want your CV though, it's quite likely it's not the sort of company that takes their interns seriously (aka they aren't actually looking to hire them). IBM goes quite far in their screening however, and other big tech giants should be very similar.

This is what I had to go through:
1) Qualify through having relevant skills / experience listed on my CV (no brainer, also seems to be extremely rare for these to ever be read by actual techies initially, at least if the business is large enough to have an HR department. Just an FYI)

2) Had to pass 2 timed online tests (fail and you can't retake them for 1 year, content and test type was randomly chosen to prevent cheating and complicate advance study). This is more uncommon. In my case, and from what I've heard from similar accounts, this is strictly about trying to gauge your IQ and ability to perform under stress. I had to solve numerical patterns for my first test and the second was fairly standard math problems. Both were multiple choice. You don't find out how you score, and you get your results after 2 or so weeks (indicating at least some sort of human evaluation of it).

3) Also had to come into the office to participate in 2 group activities. These were less about actually solving the tasks they presented, and more about gauging how well you do in a group, and which role you take on when matched with complete strangers. I'm quite certain they want to see you being assertive but also giving others the chance to voice their opinions, and that you take these into consideration and not shut down others immediately. First test involved problem solving and the second was pitching a fictitious product with very little time for preparation.

(I actually asked HR once I was hired when this came up in a discussion during a coffee break and they said they weren't looking to hire introverts, so even if you're really skilled technically, a good communicator has higher priority than you.)

4) Interviews. Of course! One was generic with HR and the other was a so called technical interview with a person who actually knows about the technical requirements of the trade.

5) This I didn't have to do, but I know a lot of tech companies does this even for interns. They'll ask you to write a small program (small enough so a minimum amount of effort is required to evaluate it) given a certain goal or specification. Typically this is to filter people who lie on their CV and in interviews, but also to check the general quality of your code. Not so much to see if you're some innovative, coding genius.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:51:43 PM by Ming »

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #7187 on: February 22, 2020, 02:11:45 PM »

As for the actual hiring, at the end of my internship I told HR I was interested if they had any job openings. And less than a month later I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview, which went really well and that was it. Because I had already gone through the internship process, I didn't have to jump through any further hoops, but if I hadn't, it'd been the same ordeal to get a job with them.

So, for skills, this is what I had going in as an intern, listed on my CV:

WD Frontend:
HTML5 + CSS3
JavaScript
TypeScript (Was not good with this)
Angular 2 (Framework, in actuality I had a very shallow knowledge of it and the briefest of experiences with it. Version 4 had come out at the time as well.)

WD Backend:
Apache + PHP
MySQL
Oracle DB
PL/SQL

Software:
Java (8, the most recent version at the time)
C# (Had completely forgotten everything about this at this point in time, if it wasn't for just having learned Java which is very similar I wouldn't even have listed it)

I also listed software I was capable with, such as a bunch of Adobe tools. Don't think this helped much, but I did try to highlight that I could do some graphic design as well.

DURING my internship, I also learned Node.js, which has been what I've been using exclusively for my backend work since. Do NOT go into web development today without knowing this if you want to do anything in the backend.

I think 90% of why I in particular were hired, is through displaying high adaptability, willingness and ability to learn, and not being completely autistic when it came to talking to people. And that I actually could produce working bits of code  :laugh:

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #7188 on: February 22, 2020, 03:25:46 PM »

Ok, well...I don't really know how much all that stuff about screening applies to me, since I usually don't get that far in the process, and when I have, the process hasn't been nearly that elaborate. Usually, I put in my application, and a few days or weeks later, I get an email saying they won't be going forward with my application, or nothing at all. I was applying to some real shit, too.

If those are atrocious credentials, I guess I know why, then.

My CV is basically:
-Java
-HTML, Javascript, PHP
-MYSQL
-Bash, linux permission/account/system management
-General hardware knowledge and maintenance
-Office and Adobe Suite
-Basic networking and wireshark
-Training in UX theory and design
-Business management
-Technical writing
-Marketing

...and describes my last internship at a helpdesk.

Communication isn't an issue (I was probably the best communicator at my last internship lmao) but some of the feedback I've gotten is that I don't come off as assertive, or that I'm telling people what I think they want to hear, so idk.

The idea of an employer willing to onboard you for training something that isn't totally proprietary is completely alien to me. I've been basically (politely) told before that I wouldn't be hired because I didn't have enough experience with windows server.

I should mention that I live in a city with a massive problem with underemployment, so, that's something.

I dunno, man...Thanks for your input, but how did you get experience in all that? In my experience, employers don't care at all about anything but formal education/experience in something, and by the time I'm graduated, I'll have maybe some more of that covered.

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #7189 on: February 22, 2020, 04:40:06 PM »

but how did you get experience in all that?

Weeeell. I did take a 16 week long "full stack development course". It was basically just watching video courses for days and days, usually covering a single topic that you legitimately should spend months on or at the VERY LEAST weeks in a day or two. This was worth absolutely nothing in terms of actually learning or gaining useful experience, there was zero room for that. (So I don't even list Python for instance on my CV, because I "studied" that for a whole 12 hours and then forgot it all.) But it did allow me to write that I had formal education that was at least related.

Other than that, I'm completely self taught. I learned JavaScript, PHP and SQL while I was stuck being a NEET. Actually, what got me going down that track was making the next incarnation of API...

61e K-Macbeth

• 61e forever bros
« Reply #7190 on: February 22, 2020, 05:11:02 PM »

i ate food

DirtyRed

« Reply #7191 on: February 22, 2020, 05:30:59 PM »

Niko-Chan

« Reply #7192 on: February 22, 2020, 10:07:50 PM »

I had coffee homemade :relax:

61e K-Macbeth

• 61e forever bros
« Reply #7193 on: February 22, 2020, 10:08:56 PM »

I had coffee homemade :relax:

kinda cool niko bit im more or a tea person :relax: <this tea

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #7194 on: February 24, 2020, 05:12:08 PM »

Got my new work phone and it took me on and off like 2 hours to set it up and get all my old junk migrated. And like 5 re-installs because I messed up something constantly.

I think I might be retarded

:worried:

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #7195 on: February 25, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »

I have an interview next friday, hot off recovering from midterms...

It begins, I guess.

61e K-Macbeth

• 61e forever bros
« Reply #7196 on: February 26, 2020, 12:33:02 AM »

I have an interview next friday, hot off recovering from midterms...

It begins, I guess.
It begins....... use your newfound skill

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #7197 on: February 27, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »

yooooo you all still alive? I hope all of you are well!

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #7198 on: February 29, 2020, 06:33:16 AM »

Yahoo Olli  :wave:

Pleinair

• I swear I'll post more. Eventually...
« Reply #7199 on: March 06, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »

Barely. :laugh:
It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down