Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Author Topic: History  (Read 1607 times)

McJongJing

History
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:51:52 AM »

Discuss history here.
My favourite period of history is late communist China, because that shit was bizzare.

The cultural revolution was particularly strange.
Students would go out and beat their teachers, and other things considered 'old'
There were cases of students burning their teachers to death via firework bombardment.
It's weird, because the Chinese used to revere the old and the ancient.

The revere for Mao was staggering. This one time, a fire man was called to a burning house.
He rushed in, ignored the people, grabbed the pictures of Mao, then rushed out.
He was hailed as a hero because he put the pictures of Mao ahead of the people burning.
(Source: my ass)
Students would even have civil wars over who loved Mao the most.

What interesting times.

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
Re: History
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »

Dynastic China is Best China.

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »

I really enjoy the shogunate era in Japan, specifically the Edo period.

I also really enjoy 1960's Germany when Kraut Rock was becoming a thing and things were still kinda being controlled by former SS members who had assimilated into law enforcement positions.

Interesting stuff!

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

Hmmm...

The golden age of piracy was pretty interesting, as well as the Industrial Revolution, in the sense that they had tremendous growth that they weren't prepared to handle.

1960s America was also fascinating for the unprecedented level of discontent with authority.

Unprecedented for America, at least.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »

The 60s were pretty interesting. Hippies were the worst though. They're just a bunch unappreciative punk ass kids who militantly opposed something they knew nothing about just so they could be a bunch of lazy worthless fucks (sounds a little like certain groups we have today...). Plus the 60s ending was great because it ushered in our greatest American president.

McJongJing

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »

I like the era of line infantry to the first world war a lot but also the second world war. European exploration and colonisation is cool I wish I had lived then...
Yeah, there really is no modern day equivalent.
Too young to explore earth, too old to explore space.
It would have been very hard work, but exploring uncharted territory would have been worth it.

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »

I should add, I also find WWII pretty fascinating in the sense that it was the last "heroic" war, and how, at least from here, it almost feels like entire countries banding together for it, with, in addition to the combat effort, civillians donating scrap iron, buying war bonds, and supporting the effort with manufacture.

lmoa

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »

Probably in the age of enlightenment, Europe (relevant parts). It's always been a fantasy of mine to have pleasant conversations with minds like Rousseau, Hobbes, Bacon over tea  :relax: