Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Author Topic: Comics!  (Read 3384 times)

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
Comics!
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »

Does anyone read them?

I haven't read much since I was like, 12 years old. Among the ones I have read since those days and really enjoyed are Y: The Last Man, and Sandman.

:ok2:

Ollistar

• oop lol
Re: Comics!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »

I have some Ren & Stimpy comics Marvel put out in the 90s. I used to have a lot of comics, I'm sure their still around somewhere.

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »

If I hear about an interesting comic story, I'll check it out, and I've read my fair share of newsstand comics, but the only comics I buy semi regularly is Heavy Metal, which is a bimonthly sci-fi and fantasy anthology comic series from different artists.  They were known in the past for their stories having a heavy erotic bent (as well as the movie), but they run a lot more non sexual stuff now.

Not that they don't have no erotic content anymore...  :ecchi:

Also read my fair share of early Spawn.

Oh, and I should probably mention that these days, DC is dead to me, and Marvel is bleeding to death on the ground as I feel absolutely nothing.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:07:47 PM »

Marvel was always superior. Who knows, maybe this mass universe reset is for the better. I'll be pleased if they take advantage of it by making some new original content instead rehashing the same heroes over and over. When's the last time we got a new main hero?

Where the Squirrel Girl love?

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

I totally recommend Y: The Last Man by the way.

As the name implies, it's about the last man on Earth. It follows his travels around the world in the search of a way to save humanity from extinction and the interesting people he meets along the way and the events he lives through.

Wikipedia says:

On July 17, 2002, something (referred to as a plague) simultaneously kills every living mammal possessing a Y chromosome — including embryos, fertilized eggs, and even sperm. The only exceptions appear to be a young amateur escape artist named Yorick Brown and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand. Many women are killed from disasters caused by the men's deaths.

Society is plunged into chaos as infrastructures collapse, and the surviving women everywhere try to cope with the loss of the men, and the belief that, barring a rapid, major scientific breakthrough or other extraordinary happening, humanity is doomed to extinction.

Despite what you might think, it does not 1) try to push some agenda about how either the world can't work without men, or the opposite, that men are useless. Or 2) feature vast amounts of sex for the sake of "repopulating".

Instead the comic is as fucking insane as it is clever and charming. I cried like a little girl by the end too.

I don't think there ever was a main protag who embodied me more.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »

The monkey's name is &. I may have to check it out.

Kami_sama

• Live large, die large. Leave a giant coffin.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »

2) feature vast amounts of sex for the sake of "repopulating".
I'm sure that was the initial reason you picked it up. :nyoron:

It seems good, I'll give it a try.

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »

Marvel was always superior. Who knows, maybe this mass universe reset is for the better. I'll be pleased if they take advantage of it by making some new original content instead rehashing the same heroes over and over. When's the last time we got a new main hero?

Where the Squirrel Girl love?

You mean you don't know?

And another thing, I picked up a few post New-52 Suicide Squad comics, and they're...well, not really suicide squad. No one really dies, and they brought on that stupid bitch who thinks she's the Joker's daughter or some shit, and Harley Quinn hates the Joker now.

So yeah, everything sucks.

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »

2) feature vast amounts of sex for the sake of "repopulating".
I'm sure that was the initial reason you picked it up. :nyoron:

It seems good, I'll give it a try.

Well... I won't lie that the series having tons of sexy, badass best girls in it was part of the reason I kept reading :laugh:

The hero, Yorick, is very entertaining though and the main appeal. If you're the type to read comics, he should be very easy to relate to.  :wink:

The monkey's name is &. I may have to check it out.

It figures out of the roughly 3.5 billion men, the one who lives through the apocalypse is the god damn English Major.

:ok:

Kami_sama

• Live large, die large. Leave a giant coffin.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »

I began reading Y:the last man. I don't like the MC this much. However I like how the world-building. It feels like the autor really tried to emulate what would happen if every man were to die right now.

The utlra-feminist extremist were a little bit over the top.
Also the side-story with his sister wasn't handled correctly.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »

I'm not sure I like the way that squirrel girl looks but that was delightful. What was it from?

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. It's painful.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »

How is it painful?

Royalkitten

• huh