Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Terraria with API  (Read 6092 times)

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
Terraria with API
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »

Anyone up for it?

There's a huge update coming out in... less than 3 hours upon typing this, and I'll be autismically enjoying myself with it one way or the other.

I'll set up a server this weekend if there's interest.

ScumbagSoldier

Re: Terraria with API
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »

Terarria always looked shitty to me because it remotely resembled Minecraft.

Someone last night tried to tell me it's not like Minecraft and fun.

Is it?

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »

Hm.

Think of it as a Dungeon Crawler RPG where you can build stuff, rather than 2d Minecraft.

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »

Terarria always looked shitty to me because it remotely resembled Minecraft.

Someone last night tried to tell me it's not like Minecraft and fun.

Is it?

It's 2D minecraft.

simondaman

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:42:36 AM »

what do you even do in terraria

i have it but got bored within 10 minutes

Ollistar

• oop lol
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 03:12:51 AM »

what do you even do in terraria

i have it but got bored within 10 minutes

It's 2D minecraft.

Sounds about right.

a worthless person

• not worth worrying about
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 04:48:08 AM »

i'll play with you ming

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »

I'm getting mixed messages here.

Look, is it as boring, unfufilling, and generally lifeless as Minecraft?

McJongJing

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »

It's fucking garbage
At least in Minecrafts creative mode you can build some neat stuff.
But I'm two dimensions you don't even have that.
Everything is randomly generated. So you don't get any neat dungeon designs, and they all feel the same.
The combat is inherently flawed like Minecrafts.
You just go up to an enemy, and click to swing your sword.
The attack is so fucking unsatisfactory. It feels like you're slapping them.
There's no wind up.
The combat is so simple, that it's dull and shallow.
The most complex it gets is jumping over projectiles.

Collecting resources is shit for the same reason. Sure you can get better stuff, but when the core gameplay is this dull who cares! Might as well just play cookie clicker because it's the same shit. A clicky grind.
You could build a house, but there are tonnes of better games for that sort of thing.
And really there's only so much you can do with only two dimensions in this sort of thing.

And finally, the jump physics suck. There's no momentum or inertia.

I'm actually just talking out of my ass. I've never played Terraria and don't have an opinion on it.
I just enjoy complaining about video games. Someone gifted it to me on Steam so I might give it a shot.

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »

I've never really played Minecraft so I wouldn't know, but Minecraft looks like the most boring thing imaginable if placed side by side with Terraria, because Terraria has gameplay.

In Terraria you dig deep and greedily to get phat loot which you use to murder the fuck out of bosses so you can get better equipment, and murder even tougher bosses.

There are a ton of different NPCs in the game (most are different kinds of vendors), and they'll move into the houses/rooms you make, so you get to have your own little town (or castle). NPCs will also as of the new update defend themselves, so I guess you could see them as your own little live-in army.

Which is excellent as there are several recurring events where your world gets invaded by various monsters who want your blood. (And you want their loot so you can craft cool stuff and better gear)

You will have to build with this in mind because as you progress, monsters will start to break down doors, spawn inside your home, fire through walls, etc. Yes you can build traps to help you out. And even do stuff as a moat of lava.

Oh, and there's totally PvP so you can use all the gear, spells, etc you obtain against other players. And build to defend against other players, if you want to do more than just duel and engage in something more like a war between parties.

There's also like 100 different blocks and stuff for each thing I've ever seen in Minecraft. The world also has different areas, so you get deserts, frozen wastelands, jungles, etc. Hell even exists at the bottom. And yes, it's not a nice place to be.

McJongJing

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »

How are the core combat mechanics though?
Because if it's as bad as it is in Minecraft then all that stuff is pointless.
Although this sounds so much more polished than Minecraft.
In the finished version the npc villagers did nothing.
They didn't even react to being attacked.

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:58 AM »

Not very deep.

You swing or run and gun (or run and spell).

What makes it sort of redeemable is if you just stand still when fighting bosses your dead. Coupled with things like grappling hooks, climbing claws, rocket boots, etc you get more out of it than just typical kiting because you have fun movement options. And if you're underground the layout is a very serious concern and danger. Potions have a long cooldown too so you can't just pot your way to victory either.

In the end it's not about combat though but the feeling of progression, both from beefing up your character and expanding your base and decking it out in luxurious goods and spoils of war.

Also autism. I can build forever, but having to stop so I can get more materials is a pain and what always makes me jump to another game after enough hours.

McJongJing

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 08:03:34 AM »

Well it sounds better than Minecraft.
Yeah I might give it a go.

Kami_sama

• Live large, die large. Leave a giant coffin.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »

I bought it ! :kyaa:

Ming

• Empress
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »

Nice  :wink:

To get started, here's some tips:

1. All crafting (minus some basic things like torches) is done at various types of crafting furniture.

2. The first one, is the Workbench. To make it you just need some wood. You can make simple wooden furniture and equipment with it. You'll need this to build your first basic house to survive the night when monsters start appearing.

To craft, just press ESC to open the menu, and you'll see all your crafting options at the bottom left. It will only show things you can make right now with the stuff in your inventory. You need to stand nearby a crafting place to make its respective items. You can place your workbench by clicking it in your inventory (or hotbar) to select it and then clicking in an area near you where you want to put it.

3. A 'house' is what the game considers an area where you can live in. All livable spaces needs to have walls, a roof, a floor, a door, and I _think_ at least 2 pieces of furniture (a chair and table will do). NPCs will come to live in these over time, most will sell new items to you. You also can only place 'beds' in 'houses'. Beds can be clicked to set it as your save point.

4. To make walls for the background, you need to craft XXX Wall from your blocks at the workbench. You can make walls from most materials, at the start you should go with wood walls because trees are easy to farm (and dirt doesn't count as proper house material I think). But you can also use stone, metals, etc if you have it.

5. The pickaxe mines blocks, the axe chops down trees, and the hammer removes background items, like the Wood Wall background, but can also modify the shape of normal blocks (you can create slopes this way).

6. The better your pickaxe, the faster you'll mine.
Pages: [1] 2 3