Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FUCK YOU, GLOBAL WARMING  (Read 3175 times)

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
Re: FUCK YOU, GLOBAL WARMING
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »

No clue but that sounds like one badass, genocidal tree

Ky

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »

Just copy and pasted this but man its pretty cool.

Like many plants native to fire-prone regions, eucalyptus trees (aka gum trees in Australia) are adapted to survive — or even thrive — in a wildfire. Fallen eucalyptus leaves create dense carpets of flammable material, and the trees' bark peels off in long streamers that drop to the ground, providing additional fuel that draws ground fires up into the leaves, creating massive, fast-spreading "crown fires" in the upper story of eucalyptus forests.

Additionally, the eucalyptus oil that gives the trees their characteristic spicy fragrance is a flammable oil: This oil, combined with leaf litter and peeling bark during periods of dry, windy weather, can turn a small ground fire into a terrifying, explosive firestorm in a matter of minutes. That's why eucalyptus trees — especially the blue gums (Eucalyptus globulus) that are common throughout New South Wales — are sometimes referred to wryly as "gasoline trees."

And after a bushfire sweeps through an area, the eucalyptus trees have an advantage over other plants. Their seed capsules open up when burned, and the seedlings thrive in freshly burned, ash-rich soils.

"Give a hillside a really good torching and the eucalyptus will absolutely dominate," Bowman told KQED. "They'll grow intensively in the first few years of life and outcompete everything."

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »

Very nice. Though it's not so nice that everything else dies.

Also Autumn please hurry.

Kami_sama

• Live large, die large. Leave a giant coffin.
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »

dope music

Pleinair

• I swear I'll post more. Eventually...
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 11:45:48 PM »

I don't actually think we have enough data to actually say global warming is being caused by humans. We've only been recording the weather for a few hundred years, while the earth is billions of years old. I'm inclined to think that the earth has seasons on a larger scale than the four we're accustomed to. Regardless of what ever is happening, the pollution we cause needs to be stopped or at least minimized.
It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down

Kami_sama

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:05 PM »

I don't actually think we have enough data to actually say global warming is being caused by humans. We've only been recording the weather for a few hundred years, while the earth is billions of years old. I'm inclined to think that the earth has seasons on a larger scale than the four we're accustomed to. Regardless of what ever is happening, the pollution we cause needs to be stopped or at least minimized.

I don't want to go all political and shit but we know the average temperature of the earth starting from like 20'000 BC.

The climate is just changing way too fast (10-100 times too fast) for it to be the "natural course".

Climate change is caused by human behavior, only by human behavior and it's a scientific truth. Anyone who claim to be really informed on the subject who says the opposite is literally lying. In the literal sense of literally. Either because it means he's not properly informed or he knows the truth but don't want to word it because the implication of it displeases him.

Pleinair

• I swear I'll post more. Eventually...
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 09:56:15 PM »

I'll admit that we maybe exasperating the situation.
It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down

Kami_sama

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »

from -20'000 to -14500 the temperature got up by 1°C, so 1° per 5500 years
from -14500 to -12500, it got up by 1.5 °C, so 1° per 1300 years

then it more or settled and/or never moved faster than about 1°C per 1300 years

Suddenly, between 1900 and 2016, the earth began to warm up exponentially, which it never did.
It gained 1.5 +C in ~100 years, so 1°C per 66 years on average, or 19 degree per 1300 years if you prefer.

So even if nature is participating to this, she's doing about 5% of the work. At this level it's more than just exasperating. And keep in mind that since it's growing exponentially, those 5% of hypothetical participation will shrink quickly and tend towards 0 in like 10-20 years.

Again, it is known as a scientific fact that the reason why this extremely fast change is due to t he greenhouse effect, caused by gases released in the atmosphere by human activity.

I'm not saying one should care about that, even less do something about, if he doesn't wish so. However I'd like if people doing so would at least assume it instead of finding a way to shoo the guilt away and shut down the tentative of people trying to actually do something.
Pages: 1 [2]