Anime Princess Island

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WWI thread  (Read 4932 times)

litt

• Prinzessin
WWI thread
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »

As 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War let's have a thread about it, pictures, info, propaganda you learned at school
To start things off here is the good kaiser

mandatory anthem

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
Re: WWI thread
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »

Kaiser is the best title for a ruler ever. It just sounds so regal and powerful.

litt

• Prinzessin
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »

Dragutin Dimitrijević AKA Apis

This motherfucker was the dude orchestrating the Black Hand which was behind the killing of Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo in 1914. Although the killing marked the occassion, it was not the cause for the war, with Europe having been drifting to war far before that.
To understand just how deep this guy went, in 1903 he helped organise and participated in a coup against the reigning Obrenovic dynasty in Serbia, which had been feuding with the Karadordevic dynasty for a long time. They didn't just want to kill king Alexander, they wanted to ravage his corpse. The Italian worker at the palace who had to discard with the corpse noted that the king had many bayonet, gunshot and axe wounds, a lot after the king and queen had been killed by the initial hail of bullets. A bit over the top. With the overthrow successful, Apis was proclaimed a saviour of the fatherland and maintained a military post.
Apis, a south Slav nationalist, became the head of the Black Hand group and sponsored their activities, using them to achieve his ends of causing turmoil in Austria-Hungary. He was successful and managed to escape punishment until 1917 when the Serbian Prime Minister decided he should be offed. As a result of his scheming, the July Crisis occurred and Europe went to war. Serbia would become occupied by Austria-Hungary although it offered gallant resistance, owing more to the stupid deployment strategy of Austrian field marshal Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf.

murasa

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »

I am a little bit of a WWI otaku myself

Royalkitten

• huh
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »

mustard gas is bad!!  :sweatdrop:
Dear Ming,

Please delete my account.

Onegai <3

Momona

• Princess from Tokkomple Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

They should make a WWI and II Musou game.

murasa

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »

litt

• Prinzessin
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »

Nice images. Is this a picture book? When I get back home I will upload pictures I took from the Austrian Military Museum. Very cool museum for a history otaku.
Here are some pictures that wiki has from the museum.
Franz Josef's uniforms

This room was my favourite. You have the car that Franz Ferdinand was riding in when he was killed. Also shown is the uniform he was wearing on the day. You can see where the bullets hit and you can also see where surgeons attempted to cut into the clothes to extract them.

Here are some Austro-Hungarian uniforms.

And some artillery!

murasa

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »

It has a lot of cool illustrations to go with the stories of how soldiers got the iron cross. The version I have is from 1916. 

I wish I could visit European war museums  :sad:

Hiro

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:30 PM »

the reich will rise again

Raz

• Gensokyo Volunteer Fairy Department
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »

Honestly I think WWI was incredibly retarded and nothing but a waste of good lives.  Sure there was some really neat weapon tech advancement, but overall so many people died for nothing, and it was directly responsible for WW2.  At least WW2 happened for good reasons.

Hiro

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 11:54:01 PM »

yeah fuck kikes im with raz on this one

Royalkitten

• huh
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:14 PM »

the reich will rise again
:sad: if only.....
Dear Ming,

Please delete my account.

Onegai <3

murasa

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 12:30:43 AM »

WW1 had a really bad outcome

litt

• Prinzessin
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 02:03:01 AM »

WWI was dumb but I like studying it more than WWII. WWII is overdone and WWI is more tragic in the sense of states fighting. There isn't a clear black and white like in WWII which is used by historians and media to draw on the senses of readers and people. I also think that WWI's outcome is overshadowed by WWII but extremely important. The breakup of Austria-Hungary and the creation of Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, the growth of Romania and the shrinking of Hungary which are still major issues today, not to mention the rebirth of Poland. The USSR was allowed to be created and to exist because of WWI and many Arab states gained "independence" from the Ottomans only to find new colonisers in Britain and France. Despite being fought in a smaller area than WWII, it changed the world more than any war before it.

Pages: [1] 2