Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members~!

Author Topic: Downer  (Read 2447 times)

Royalkitten

• huh
Downer
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:23:37 PM »

What's the most depressing piece of entertainment you have experienced? Feel free to make a list. You first.
Dear Ming,

Please delete my account.

Onegai <3

McJongJing

Re: Downer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »

In my high school literature class we studied a book called Misses Dalloway.
I say study, because I couldn't be bothered reading the thing.
It's about an 20th century noblewoman and a WWI veteran.
The woman's life is full of regrets over things she didn't get to do.
She wasted her life as a trophy wife.
It's really sad because I think we're headed in a similar direction

The veteran has constant flash backs and can no longer find joy in the normal world.
He kills himself to avoid being shipped to a mental institution.

The way veterans were treated is depressing.
People can't connect with them or help them.
His therapist is a pompous asshole who can't help him.
The government just used him and threw him away after the war ended.

bubblecat

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »

Are you trying to get a post out of me? Well it worked. Depressing stuff is my forte.

I said this back on Chuu when talking about Funny Games with Greg in the movie thread, but Michael Haneke is the king of unsentimental and unrelentingly bleak films, no one even comes close to him, and those who attempt to are usually coined Haneke-lite's (Lars von Trier is the latest to get this label)

When asked about his cinematic style, his response was simply “I’m trying to rape the viewer into independence.”

Perhaps pinnacle of his bleakness comes in the form of the 1989 film "The Seventh Continent" which is based on the true story of a family consisting of a mother, father and their young daughter (like 8 or 9), who become sick of the mundane, repetitive nature of everyday life and goes on to show their response to it. The film has very few lines of dialogue, you simply watch as this family goes through the motions day by day, over and over, until finally one day they decide they can't take it anymore and the slow boil leads up to a 30 minute sequence in which they destroy every single thing they own in their home, smashing, tearing, breaking every item that was once precious to them as their daughter screams and cries hysterically in the background. Most infamously there was a several minute scene of them flushing tons of REAL money down a toilet, which enraged audiences at the time.* Finally after this cathartic release, they prepare 3 cups of milk, one for each of them, laced with an absurd amount of prescription drugs. They sit down in front of a TV that lay atop the mountain of destruction, playing a live performance of "The Power of Love" as they each take a sip of their drinks. The final line of dialog is the young daughter proclaiming "it's bitter" as they each die off one by one. The father is the last one to go; and gets up to write down the date, time, and names of each of the dead family members on the wall for the police to find, then lays down and stares at the tv now displaying a static image until he fades out of life himself. The end.

*In regards to the money scene, "Haneke claimed to have correctly predicted to the producer that audiences would be upset with that scene, and remarked that in today's society the idea of destroying money is more taboo than parents killing their child and themselves."

Highly recommended if you are into depressing stuff, it's the top of its class in that regard, and one of the most perfectly constructed things put onto film. I also recommend all of Haneke's stuff since he's my favorite director because of his shocking consistency. Even his worst is better than most people's best.

Other legitimately (read: not sentimental bullshit) depressing stuff:
No Longer Human by Osamu Dezai [novel] He committed suicide shortly after it's publication and some see it as more of an extremely depressing life portrait rather than fiction.
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath [novel] Also committed suicide shortly after publishing
Gaspar Noe's Irreversible [film]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:54:31 PM by bubblecat »

Kami_sama

• Live large, die large. Leave a giant coffin.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »

The first part of "Les misérables". In the pre-revolution France, a single mother tries to provide for her child. She gives her child to a couple of innkeeper and they agree to take care of her if she sends them a monthly allowance. Then she goes to another town and work her ass off to gain little money for her daughter.

The innkeeper are greedy and don't treat the child well. Because they are unhappy with the monthly sum they agreed on, they tell the mother that her child is sick and other lies, so she sends them more money. Because she doesn't make enough, she first sells her hair. Then, she sells 2 of her front teeth. Then she begins to whore herself.

Later in the book she dies poor and alone with having seen her daughter since she gave her to the innkeeper. :sad:

Hiro

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:52:36 PM »

does reading posts on api count as entertainment?

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »

Damn Kami, that is depressing.

And yeah, I think so Hiro.  :laugh:

Momona

• Princess from Tokkomple Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:13:13 AM »

So I just watched The Seventh Continent.

:ded:

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 02:27:52 AM »

I honestly think I engage more emotionally with bittersweet things than straight up depressing ones.

Still, an example of the former would be the end of Gunbuster, and an example of the latter would be The Wrestler, with Mickey Rourke.

The whole movie.

Royalkitten

• huh
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 02:35:54 AM »

The Wrestler, with Mickey Rourke.
I always hear it titled like that. I thought it was weird and worth mentioning.
Dear Ming,

Please delete my account.

Onegai <3

bubblecat

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:52:07 AM »

So I just watched The Seventh Continent.

:ded:

I honestly think I engage more emotionally with bittersweet things than straight up depressing ones.

Still, an example of the former would be the end of Gunbuster, and an example of the latter would be The Wrestler, with Mickey Rourke.

The whole movie.
The wrestler is a great character study. I didn't find it super depressing as a whole though because despite the sacrifices along the way, including his own well being, he's still doing what he loves most until the end, with all his fans cheering him on along the way.

ScumbagSoldier

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 02:56:35 AM »

That's true too...

I guess The Wrestler is also bittersweet.

Fuck.

McJongJing

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »

I teared up a little bit in the last episode of Death Parade.
When Chiyuki was watching her mum :cry:
You should all go tell your parents you love them.

Ming

• Empress
  • Stinky Smelly Salary Man
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »

Why would I lie?

:sleep:

McJongJing

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:48:04 AM »

For their money of course  :laugh:

Ming